Rare Earth Metals
Rare earth elements or metals (REEs) are increasingly critical to the high-technology and low-carbon economy. With a shift to sustainable socioeconomic development that aims to be less fossil fuel dependent, global demand for REEs continues to rise, despite their uncertain supply chain and high environmental impact of production. This is why it is essential to explore novel technologies to reclaim Rare Earth Elements from waste streams.
Who can apply
formed by at least 3 members
The Challenge Rare Earth Metals focuses on energy and circular economy frontier for sustainalbility; specifically, it focuses on finding innovative solutions aiming at separating and recycling rare earth elements from photovoltaic cells.
Development of cost-efficient dismantling lines aimed at the liberation of the Critical Raw Materials, REE rich fraction included
Development of recovery processes based on the use of green/biodegradable/low-cost solvents
Development of closed-loop recycling processes aimed at obtaining high-purity products to be possibly reintegrated in the same or other production cycles
Identification of alternative materials to rare earths to be used in the production of photovoltaic panels
A description of your team/startup / SME and supportive documents are warmly recommended and can be enclosed to the form.
All Innovative Solution Proposals received by the deadline will be evaluated by an Advisory Board and selected for the mentorship.
An Advisory Board will evaluate the solutions and the best three solutions will be awarded during the Challenge Innovation Day.
What we offer
to the 1st classified:
- 20,000 Euro cash prize
- A prize in specialized services provided by Lazio Innova Spazio Attivo
To the 2nd and 3rd classified:
- A prize in specialised services provided by Lazio Innova Spazio Attivo
November the 10th: call opening
December the 12th: call closing
January the 23rd: starting of mentorship
Innovation Day (tbd)
- Allegato I - Regolamento
- Approvazione elenco candidati ammessi alla fase di mentorship Open Innovation Challenge “Terre Rare”
- All. 1 - Elenco candidature AMMESSE al percorso di Mentorship / ADMITTED to mentorship
- All. 2 - Elenco candidature NON AMMESSE al percorso di Mentorship / NOT ADMITTED to mentorship
- All. 3 - Elenco candidature ESCLUSE / REJECTED